Good evening to you! With our move coming up quickly, I haven’t had much time to prepare any elaborate blog posts lately, however, I don’t want to disappear completely so tonight’s post is just a quick post with some DIY, food, etc. ideas for you to try.
Pinterest is a great online place to travel through for endless inspirational ideas for the home, cooking, projects, photography, actually life in general. There are so many useful, beautiful, handy and delicious-looking things to pin. I have found though, that not all pins work out well, so here are a few that were a success for me that I’d like to share with you!
- When we got our new dining room table after a kitchen renovation several years ago, this was a quick and inexpensive way to add some chairs – we picked up some old, non-matching chairs at thrift stores and yardsales and used different pale, pastel paints to brighten them up (chalk paint would work very well for this project!)
- These flaky, cheesy, spinach cups are delicious along side a bowl of soup or as an appetizer – find them here.
- We made these little pouches at Isabella’s birthday party last year – the girls needed a little assistance but they loved decorating them and filling them with treats to take home.
- This is a great way to change up your lampshade – I crocheted covers for our outdated lampshades several years back and they turned out quite well! Just one suggestion is to make sure the lampshades your cover are wide enough not to catch any heat from the lightbulb.
- I tried this pho soup recipe a while back and was surprised how delicious and authentic the broth tasted. I left out the anise and substituted ground cloves for whole cloves – YUM.
- I love the look of this easy, diy hairstyle. The soft, relaxed look is perfect for a get-together with friends or a night out. Just make sure to loosen the buns slightly, by pulling them apart a little. That way they blend together and don’t look too tight.
I hope these ideas are useful to you! Feel free to follow me on Pinterest (or Instagram), just click on the links on the right hand side. Good night!!
It’s January. For me, this time of year always feels a bit dull. The festivities that come with Christmas and New Years are over and several long, cold winter months lie ahead. The fresh, bright and alive spring season still seems so far away.
I decided to compile a list of fun activities to do this for time of year. I quickly realized that winter does not need to be a time of boring hibernation! There are so many things to do, both indoors and outdoors.
This is a list of activities you can do together as a couple, with your kids, with family and friends or just by yourself!
~ 20 winter activities ~
- bundle up and go for a long walk along familiar trails – the sights are so different when covered with snow
- visit a bookstore, such as Chapters (preferably with an in-store coffee shop), together – enjoy the peace and quiet while browsing through books and magazines with a coffee in hand – this is one of my favourite date ideas!
- attend a one-night cooking class with a friend
- with the kids, build an upside-down snowman
- organize a cook-off challenge with friends or family ( soups, casseroles, pies and the like work well) – have everyone bring their dish and choose a winner before eating it all
- read a new book
- try a new winter sport such as snow-shoeing
- plan weekly visits to the library with the kids
- build a bonfire and gather round with some spiced hot chocolate – for a recipe that I posted a few weeks ago, click here
- visit the big city and use city transportation to get around
- plan a sledding party with family and friends
- learn more about your area’s history by visiting a local museum
- try a new recipe
- buy some ready-to-use modelling clay (Crayola brand is great) and spend the afternoon forming various creations with the kids
- plan a tea party
- find a great discount for a one-night stay at a nearby hotel (preferably with pool) and enjoy a mini vacation
- instead of dining out, prepare a surprise gourmet dinner for Valentine’s Day
- visit pinterest for a DIY project idea such as: making a body scrub, sewing blankets, making jewelry, etc.
- attend a pottery class
- go skating at a city center skating rink, where hot chocolate and warm snacks are often available
I hope this inspires you a little on days in which you feel cooped up! If you have any more suggestions, please do share!
Enjoy your Wednesday!
Nine years ago you entered this world. Nine years in which we have enjoyed your sweet presence, your contagious laughter, your pretty freckles, simply you.
A little glimpse into your past…
Happy birthday to our first baby – our shy, kind, responsible, tenderhearted Ava. Watching you develop from a cute, blue-eyed, chubby-cheeked baby into the lovely, little lady you are today has been beautiful. We are so grateful for you. We pray that God will give you many more years with us.
- the kids were thrilled to finally have their first school cancellation earlier this week – we decided to put most household duties on hold, head outdoors to embark into the heaps of snow and drink hot chocolate – it was a great day
- Noah has been building some interesting structures and machinery out of LEGO lately – it’s amazing how perfectly symmetrical he puts it all together
- Isabella’s speech went so well yesterday – it’s amusing to see how much she enjoys public speaking – proud of her!
- we had a very enjoyable evening at our church bridal shower this week – the four brides were spoiled with enormous mountains of gifts – there was much delicious food and it was great to mingle with everyone there
- it was just the kids, our cousin and myself at home last night – we were all in our PJ’s before our pizza order arrived and enjoyed a fun, family movie together
- It’s Ava’s birthday! – a sweet and sappy post on that later today
- we’re heading out for breakfast this morning and hope to dig into a delightful, lemon cake later today when the grandparents visit
- Johannes will be quite occupied with work-related things next week. However, I don’t have too much planned – this means I can get a good head start to organizing and packing as I didn’t get around to doing any of that this week
Happy weekend to you all!!
- big news – our house is SOLD!!!!!!
- Isabella is preparing for her “all about me” speech next week – she’s slightly nervous as this is her first major, oral presentation but prepping posters, thinking of fun things of the past to share, and doing her well-known, cross-eyed talent show certainly makes it exciting
- we dined on some very delicious home-made pizzas
- my visit to the dentist this week was a little less than pleasant – but we pulled through and rather than fixing the molar, I said good-bye to it
- Zara enjoyed having me all to herself again – I had numerous medical checkups and hair appointments as she played doctor and hairstylist roles each day
- Ava is looking forward to celebrating her birthday next week – she just can’t think of anything to write on her wish list – suggestions anyone?!
- we are hosting a bridal shower for 4 happy brides at church next week – lots of planning involved with that
- we will be starting to organize, clean, pack and all the fun stuff that comes with moving – we have just over a month to get it all done
- choir practice resumes again – it feels good to sing but I’m also looking forward to catching up with my choir friends
Wishing you a lovely weekend!